Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two wrongs make a right wreath

It's Thursday, so y'all know the drill - lots of linky fun with Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage and DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land. Head on over and check out all the creativity in action!




Way back in March I posted about making this wreath:



It's been a perfectly good wreath, but I've been itching to make something new to carry me from late summer into fall.
---
I started thinking about my twig framed bird art, and came up with the brilliant idea (not so much) to make a twig wreath.


I bought a trusty green foam wreath from the Dollar Store,

painted it a blue grey, and started hot gluing twigs all over it (super wrong big mistake number one). I don't know that I can fully articulate just how dumb this looked. It was as if an insane bird (a few tweets short of a song) started building the world's ugliest nest. Not a good thing at all. I quickly pulled all the twigs off the wreath, and started brainstorming a new way to tackle "operation late summer wreath." Then I remembered this fabric:


I really like the brown, blue, and muddy yellow honeycombs on the fabric on the far right. I even started to use this as the background for the bird art pictured above. However, I knew that little birdy was going to fly off to be a housewarming gift for my friend Tracy, and I felt like the fabric was too modern and busy to work with her soothing decor (this was big wrong mistake number two). I didn't have this revelation until I'd already assembled the frame and art, so I had to go back and start over.
---
I'd saved all the honeycomb fabric from the framing disaster, and decided to have a go at using it on my wreath. I cut long strips on the bias, and wrapped them around the wreath, stapling at each end. I used the same tan ribbon and vintage belt buckle from my first wreath to hang this one.
I think it looks pretty spiffy! If you take out all my false starts, this project only took about 5 minutes and only cost about $1.50. How's that for learning from your mistakes?
I know y'all must have some great DIY and crafting disaster stories. You know ya wanna share!
<3
Hattie






3 comments:

Tim and Tracy said...

It was meant to be that the fabric didn't work out for the bird art because this looks really sweet! I love the belt buckle at the top which reflects the shape of the honeycombs. And I do have a DIY disaster that I might have time to post about today if I ever get it fixed. It involves diamonds on closet walls- of the painted variety.

PS: Loving my artwork. I see it everyday as I sit to blog and it makes me smile and think of you!

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

How cute! Love that fabric, it's gorgeous!

MissyM said...

It turned out very good. That is pretty fabric.