Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yellow Take 2

Since flowers don’t last forever, I wanted to add a more permanent yellow accessory to the house. I kept seeing really cute things in the stores (I could honestly stand and gawk at the windows of Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn for a good 20 minutes) but I’m much too cheap to shell out the money for something that is bound to be a fad. I took a look at what I had around the house and settled on making a wreath.



I started by wrapping a foam wreath form from the Dollar Tree with twine from the dollar section at Target. There is no way to screw this part up; all you need to do is wrap the form as tightly with twine as you can. It takes awhile to cover the whole thing, but I wrapped steadily while watching Lost and had it finished by the end of the show.

Next, I let the form sit for almost a week because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it. I knew I wanted to incorporate yellow, but I didn’t want to do anything that would turn out too country cutesy. While looking through my ribbon drawer (yes, I have an entire drawer of ribbon) I stumbled on a vintage belt buckle in the exact shade of yellow I had in mind. The buckle reminded me that I also had a ball of crochet thread in the same shade. Inspiration!

To keep things clean and simple, I just crisscrossed the crochet thread around the wreath to add a little color to the natural twine. I love how the crisscrosses ended up looking a little like petals.



To hang the wreath I slipped tan grosgrain ribbon through the belt buckle and thumb tacked it on the other side of the door – Martha, I am not!

The whole thing was super easy and could be tweaked in a million ways for a slightly different look. But the best part is that I didn’t spend a dime!

<3
Hattie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's fun to see your creative sides, hattie! i love it! hugs to you and brad. :)