Thursday, April 29, 2010

If you want to destroy my sweater...

I refashioned a sweater into a cardigan for my sister. The gifting went something like this: “I made you a sweater.” “Yay! It’s so cute.” “Thanks, try it on so I can take a picture.” “It doesn’t match my outfit.” “I know, but I need a picture for the blog.” “Ok, but I don’t want people to think I’d mix patterns like this.”



Clearly I am an awesome sister. And yes, Hannah would never wear clashing patterns. And yes, I frequently make people do things so I can blog about it. I know.

Moving on to the tutorial,


Take your basic sweater and cut straight down the middle.


If you want to shorten the sleeves, cut off the cuffs. Cut the sleeves again to your desired length.


Gather the newly shortened cut edges to match up with the size of the cuffs.


Place the cuff over the gathered sleeve with the wrong sides together. Pin and sew.


When you flip the cuff down, it should look like this. If I made no sense at all, Check out Disney’s tutorial. She’s very good at explaining this kind of thing!

Now it’s time to fix the front. Hem both sides where you cut the front open.


Decorate your new cardigan edges in a fun way. You could use seam tape, ribbon, ruffles, or the double ruffle like I did. I sewed a long tube of the same fabric to act as a belt/sash for the sweater and added two little fabric flowers to the neckline.


This was a really quick and fun project and could be changed up in a lot of ways to create a bunch of different cardigans. I actually saved this sweater from my Goodwill pile and now it has a new life. I think I’ll make a few more of these soon!

<3
Hattie

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hannah looks great in this! I love the edging you created. Another nice job, Hattie!

Stacy of KSW said...

I actually love the mixed patterns! I thought this was a cute outfit she wore on purpose. Great job, cute sister