Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Tour of Homes with the Nester!

Christmas Tour of Homes with The Nester


It’s finally time for The Nester’s Christmas Tour of Homes! I am so excited about this! I got a bunch of good ideas from her Price my Space parties, and I’m sure this party will be no different. Be sure to head over to The Nesting Place and check out all of the tours, you won’t be disappointed!
---
For my little tour, I’m going to focus on the two rooms I spend the most time decorating in the roost, the living room and the kitchen.























When you head down the steps to the living room, you’re greeted by this cheerful banner. All it took to put this together was a pretty ribbon and a few sheets of vintage patterned scrapbook paper.





















I love our willow creek nativity. My dad built the stable and my family has gifted us a few pieces every year since we’ve been married. The simplicity and sweetness of this nativity really appeals to me.


















Our stockings reflect my love of all things red and vintage! I think the iron star hangers blend in nicely with the nautical art. I do have to admit that I’m secretly freaked out that one day the heavy hangers might topple on someone’s head when they’re innocently sitting on the sofa, so I’m still deciding if they are going to stay in this location.


















I wanted to keep the coffee table really simple because we’ll be clearing it off every time we play games with guests. I just stacked up a few Christmas colored books and added a vintage nativity set to the top of the pile. I kind of like this set kept in the box, because the many tiny pieces always seem lost when they’re set up on a table or something.




















I made this Christmassy throw pillow on Saturday, check back tomorrow for the super easy tutorial.























Here’s our tree. It doesn’t have a specific theme; just ornaments with special meaning that have been collected over the years.
























When I look at the tree it brings back memories of all kinds of family events. The sea shells I gathered at Nags Head as a little girl. Golf ornaments to celebrate Brad’s favorite hobby. A bride and groom Mickey and Minnie we purchased on our honeymoon. Etc.























The lights are a compromise. I love white lights but Brad prefers colored lights. When we found a set of white, frosted, and red lights at Target, they were the perfect solution!



















A little group of snowmen snuggle under one side of the tree….















…and Santa watches out for naughty or nice behavior from the other side. The tree “skirt” is a wadded up tablecloth. One day I’d love to have a real tree that actually sits on the ground, but with limited space and baseboard heat, our smallish artificial tree works for now!
















When the tree and nativity are on display, all of our framed photos get shuffled around the room. They aren't particularly Christmassy, but a little snow bear helps them blend in a bit more.




















A few red and green books help dress up the rest of the frames.
---
Now, on to the kitchen,























I had to go retro in the kitchen because I wanted a silver tree so much! To learn how I made the ribbon card holders, go here.



















Matching tinsel ornaments add a little vintage glam to the windows, since candles weren’t a practical option. It was snowing the day I took this picture!














I threw together a few things I already had on hand to make the centerpiece: two plates, a fishbowl, a red febreeze candle, some good smelling vase filler and a Christmas candle ring.
















I made the little snow scene right after Thanksgiving.


















It only took me a few minutes to throw together the tea light holders and the merry pinecone wreath.





















Here's one more shot of the kitchen.
















I hope you enjoyed spending a few Christmassy minutes in the roost! I really enjoyed decorating this year because I kept things simple and I only spent a few dollars for some new ribbon. Have a merry Christmas and thanks for stopping by!

<3
Hattie



12 comments:

Carly said...

Gorgeous - thanks for sharing. Your home looks beautiful.

Holly said...

What a cute place! You did a great job; it looks so festive and welcoming. I especially like the silver and red kitchen tree, the snowmen, and the little houses in the bowl.
Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Heather said...

Very cute decorations! I especially like the tinsel star in the window. Merry Christmas!

Marianne said...

Your home looks lovely! I am sure you will have a wonderful Christmas time. Your home is all ready for it.

Valerie said...

Love your cute home with all the great decorations.

Had to giggle at your description of your concern of the stocking holders thwonking down on someone's head - they sure look great there.

Thanks for the ribbon/card tutorial - looks great and will check back for the pillow tutorial.

K Mommy said...

Beautiful decorations! I love the crafty stuff you've made. I love to make crafty things myself! Thanks for sharing!

Nepperess said...

I love your little tree in the kitchen. So cute! Well, no I love all of it, but the tree is uber cute!

Rachel said...

Your kitchen is adorable!

Laryssa Herbert said...

Your vintage kitchen decor is so cute! I'm a red gal myself. ;-)

Thanks for showing us around. You are welcome to by and see my home anytime. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Your home looks cozy and warm! Thanks for sharing! I am stopping in from Nester's place. To see my tour click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog.

Anonymous said...

Your home looks cozy and warm! Thanks for sharing! I am stopping in from Nester's place. To see my tour click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog.

Patricia said...

Saying hi from Nesters tour... you have a gorgeous home!