Monday, December 14, 2009

Pillows and P.J.s


Since Christmas is almost here, I thought I’d use this DIY Day to share a super fast and easy holiday project. If you stopped by yesterday on The Nester’s tour, then you might have noticed this new little pillow.



















Here’s a closer look.


















I made this Christmas pillow cover from a pajama top my mom found at Goodwill. She knew I’d be able to make something fun out of fabric this cute.























To make the cover I turned the top inside out and placed an old throw pillow inside the shirt.

















Because the shirt buttons up the front, it made it super easy to turn into a pillow cover. I pinned the shirt all around the edges of the pillow and simply sewed around the pins, sort of like making a sofa slipcover.














Because I like the look of off center buttons (and let’s face it, I’m a lazy hand sewer) I pushed the pillow all the way over to one of the shirt’s side seams, so I’d only have to stitch around three sides instead of four.

















Here's a shot of what it looked like after the pillow was stiched inside of the shirt and the extra edges trimmed away.
















Once I finished sewing, I unbuttoned the shirt, turned it right side out, and reinserted the pillow. Once the pillow was back inside the shirt, I just buttoned it right back up again.


















Although this idea is cute for Christmas, you could apply the same idea to any kind of button down shirt. I’m thinking buffalo check plaid would be cute for winter and dotted swiss would look great in the spring.

Happy sewing! Don't forget to check back Tueday night for the 5th week of my Colorful Blessings Party. This week is all about blue!

<3
Hattie

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Our family gives pajamas every year on Christmas Eve- this would be a great compliment to our tradition.

Mandy said...

CUTE pillow! Love it :)

Tracy said...

I meant to comment on your house tour yesterday- loving it all (especially your silver tinsel tree). And I'm super duper loving this tutorial! What a festive project. :D

Angie Holden said...

That is a great idea!! Hmmm...now to find a pajama top....

artisticblend said...

That is just too cute. Great idea! Merry Christmas!

The Chenowiths said...

i LOVE your blog! espically the retro touches! the pillow turned out wonderfully - great job :)

trish said...

So cute! :o)