Monday, December 7, 2009

A little birdie joy











It’s DIY Day ornament time! I know you didn’t think I could make it through Christmas without creating at least one birdy decoration to fuel my obsession hobby! I'm also joining the fun at Centsational Girl!



















I used a map to create this peace on earth/joy to the world dove. I love that it adds a little holiday glitz while still reminding me of what this season is all about.





















If you’d like to make your own dove you will need: a map or atlas you don’t mind cutting up, cardboard (I used a cereal box), mod podge, glitter, brown craft paint, ribbon, and scraps of white cardstock.













If, like me, drawing is not your thing, search for a simple dove clip art image to use as a template. I found mine in Microsoft Word’s clip art.




















Trace the dove onto the cardboard and cut out. Next, trace the dove onto the map and cut out two, one to cover the front of the cardboard dove and one to cover the back.
---
Dip a foam brush into the mod podge and apply a thin coat to both the cardboard dove and the map dove. Stick together and smooth out any bubbles and allow to dry thoroughly. I repeat – allow to dry thoroughly – even if you are as impatient as I am! Repeat on the reverse side of the cardboard dove.
















Once dry, apply a thin layer of mod podge over the map covered dove and sprinkle lightly with glitter. Allow to dry and repeat on reverse side.















Once dry, you can create an antique look by adding a small drop of brown craft paint to a dollop of mod podge.















Mix together and spread lightly over glittered dove.
































While this dries, create your peace and joy tags by cutting small shapes from scrap cardstock.



















I used letter stamps to spell out peace and joy, but you could easily do this by hand. I set mini scrapbook rivets into the tops of the dove and tags for a more finished look, but you could simply use a hole punch as well. Once everything is dry, tie it all together with some simple ribbon or twine.














Snazzy and meaningful, I like it!























Don’t forget my colorful blessings party this Tuesday night. We’re celebrating our green blessings, and this time of year everyone is bound to have some of those! Stop by and join the fun!

<3
Hattie

13 comments:

Tracy said...

LOVE IT! And how clever to use a map for joy to the world. ;)

erin's art and gardens said...

really clever and inspiring!

Janice aka mom, grandma, said...

thank you for sharing. Sooooo cute!

janice

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Your map bird is so pretty. Wouldn't this make a great gift to somebody who has moved to a new town. You could make it with a map of the new place. Love it!

Decor To Adore said...

I am so going to make this sweet tweet. Probably out of sheet music.

I hope that you will come by and see the ornaments I made: pearl encrusted star, crystal and button ball and an anthro inspired tree topper.

Mandy said...

Very cute! I think you've inspired me...

Delightful Dwelling said...

Beautiful! I've been wanting to make some ornaments similar to this, thanks for the inspiration.

Kate Riley said...

I adore, seriously ADORE, anything made with a map, and this is just priceless ! I would never have thought to make something like this and I am so grateful you shared this extra special project. I know you'll treasure it for years !
Thanks for linking and so nice to meet you !

Hugs
Kate

Unknown said...

Love that you recycled, love that you used Mod Podge!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

I am so going to use this idea! We love NYC and have lots of subway maps. This is perfect for them!

Thanks so much for getting my creative juices flowing!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

so pretty! love the tip about adding the paint to the mod podge! very clever!
gail

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

The bird is so cute! I especially love the idea of using a special map instead of a patterned paper.

Anonymous said...

this is entirely too creative and cute for words! will definitely be checking out your archives when I have a few moments! thanks for sharing!