Monday, December 28, 2009

Give me some sugar


Happy DIY Day! I hope you all had a very merry Christmas! Today, I thought I’d share a very special recipe with you all. If you love sugar cookies, you MUST try this recipe because these are the absolute best sugar cookies I have ever tasted. I am not kidding. Plus, this recipe does not call for the dough to be chilled, so you don’t have any of that pesky waiting around.




















I made Christmas shapes, but now that the holidays are over, you could make snowflakes and snowmen or hearts for Valentine’s Day.
---
Roll-Out Cookie Dough

1 cup butter (I used smart balance 50/50 blend with no problem)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. This is a job for your mix master or other electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking powder. Mix in flour one cup at a time. You will need to mix in the last bits of flour by hand as the dough will be very stiff. Divide dough into two balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle about 1/8 inch think. Cut into shapes and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6 to 7 minutes or until very lightly browned.

Tips: These are great plain or with sprinkles. I fill a cookie sheet with only one shape at a time. This keeps smaller shapes from burning. Check the first batch after 5 minutes as baking time really varies depending on your oven. This is my most favorite cookie to have with a cup of tea or coffee! Enjoy, but be warned, these are addicting!

<3
Hattie

4 comments:

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Yum! I will have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!!

Nepperess said...

Great recipe. We actually have three batches in the fridge, waiting to be decorated, but I'm sure they would have been all finished if they didn't need to be chilled!

Tracy said...

I love sugar cookies and will have to give this a whirl!

Tracy's mom said...

Hattie,
Thanks for sharing this! There's nothing more frustrating (well maybe there is) than going all out to make something special and then fail. I like your tips about keeping the same size together as well. I think Andrew and I will try this one over the rest of our holiday. Something to keep the Christmas feeling alive!