Monday, November 30, 2009

I can totally make that


Have yourself a merry DIY Day….


Have you ever been in a store this time of year and caught your eye on a simple but beautiful décor idea? You admire the little doodad and think to yourself, “I could totally make that.” I’m hoping this post will be kind of like that.























Let me introduce you to my new kitchen vignette. For the past two years, I’ve pretty much decorated this area the same old boring way, so I was itching to do something new this year. Only I didn’t want to spend any money. Or take that much time. Or even bother making anything. Ok, so I was feeling lazy and when I’m feeling lazy I like to assemble. I think assembling or layering or whatever you want to call it is one of the secrets of stylish decorating on a budget. Somehow, throwing a bunch of random, inexpensive items together is an easy way to create something that looks pretty classy.
---
Here’s what I had on hand: A glass fish bowl, paper houses, a Christmas tree photo holder (don’t have these? Go here to make some on the fly and on the cheap), and  flour (you could use ivory snow, or white sand, or cotton batting, etc.)




















These items made up stage one of my assembly. I threw them all together and made a cute little snow scene. I, however, don’t know when to leave well enough alone and thought that the scene need to have some height, so I started pulling out more random thing from my kitchen cabinets.
---
I found: A glass bowl with a pedestal, a white dinner plate (don’t have a pedestal bowl? Try a cake stand or a plate stuck to a candle stick with a little poster putty) and a small white dish.























At this point I set the bowl on the serving dish and the plate on the bowl and the glass fish bowl on the plate (and the hole in the log in the bottom of the sea). It was starting to look pretty spiffy, but it needed a little more fluffing.
---
I dug around some more and found: about ten vintage glass ball ornaments and some boxwood clippings from the bush in our front yard.


















I took everything out of the glass pedestal bowl and stuck in a few ornaments, and then I put it all back together again. I set the remaining glass ornaments on the serving dish to form a ring around the pedestal base. Finally, I tucked some boxwood around the edge of the dinner plate and fish bowl base.
























It seriously took me longer to write this post than it did to assemble the whole vignette. So, what are you waiting for? Go raid your kitchen cabinets and assemble your own great look, because you can totally make this!
---
Don’t forget to stop by Tuesday night for the Colorful Blessing Blog Party, right here at the roost. This week we’re celebrating the yellow blessings in our homes!

<3
Hattie

11 comments:

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

That is so sweet

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love all the layers you used. Great idea!

Holly said...

Adorable! Love the little houses...whereja get'em?

Tracy said...

It's a reverse snow globe! Yay! That's really cool and I love those ornaments at the base. And I'm already scouting my house for yellow things. :)

Hattie said...

The houses were from Martha Stewart's Christmas line at Macy's a few years ago. I think she has similar templates on her site, but it was not behaving for me last night.

Moore Minutes said...

Flour?!! That is the coolest idea! I'm impressed. :) Super cute too.

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Oh, this is just fabulous. I love the look the flour gave you. Would have never thought of that one. Thanks so much for the idea!

Kate

Julia said...

That is so cute. Love it.

Delightful Dwelling said...

It looks beautiful! I love the little paper houses, so cute.

Mandy said...

Really super cute - I love it!
You did a great job :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Very cute!