Monday, August 30, 2010

Dreaming of sweater weather

So, it’s not quite sweater weather outside, but inside my library, meat locker temperatures are the norm; hence, my love of cardigans. Even though I’m a huge fan, I only own three solid colored cardigans – which I wear over and over and over again. However, I do have several regular sweaters that I rarely wear, so I decided to convert one into a cardigan.

That’s how this slightly too small and too short sweater,

Became this fun cardigan (I’m not sure if it really counts as a cardigan without buttons, but you know what I mean!)

I started by cutting straight down the middle of the front of the sweater.

I folded the raw edge under, pinned, and sewed.

Then came the time to add some fun! I originally wanted to add ruffles, but I didn’t have any matching fabric on hand. But I did have tons of matching ribbon.
So I proceeded to spend what seemed like two hours pinning the ribbon into pleats. I seriously thought I was going to run out of pins! It only took a few minutes to sew the pleats to the sweater, so I think it was worth the time.

I can wear the sweater open


Or tied with a little ribbon belt.

Other than the time spent pleating, this was a very quick and easy project!

Any other major sweater fans out there? Anyone else have a super cold workplace?

Linking to this awesome party!

Photobucket

<3
Hattie

10 comments:

Tracy said...

SO CUTE, SO CUTE!! And the pleating was worth it- I like it better than I think I would have the ruffles. This is great. :D I repeat, I must buy a sewing machine.

On a side note, I just started a new blog (cashmereandcardigans.blogspot.com) inspired by these "What I Wore" posts I see people do and your old "Fresh Fashion Fridays", and I just did a post about freezing cold libraries and my love of cardigans. ha!

Justine said...

Oh this is definitely, definitely cute! I love the stripes of the sweater and the pleated ribbon. =] Great job!

Just Better Together

Jessica said...

What a great idea, I have been on the look out for cardigans at a VERY cheap price. And they are hard to find! So this would be good idea especially since I get hand me downs from my s-i-l who is shorter than me.

Mikalah said...

So cute! I'm already thinking of a sweater that I could do this to... I love sweaters too! Fall is my favorite time of the year. I'm in love with long sweaters, I have way too many of them but I LOVE them!

Charlotte said...

so cute!!!!! i need to do some of these cute little refashions you have been coming up with. love this one!!

Unknown said...

that is super beautiful! i am totally trying this one!!!

~selina

Alison said...

I love LOVE that cardigan. Can't wait to try one.

The Sisters 4 say MORE is more said...

Okay thats just adorable!

emekliyim.com said...

gercekten iyi fikir


http://niltursamatamerkezi.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

What a fun cardigan! I love it -- I have to make it!