Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Just Do it!

This post is a little How-To, but it’s also a Go-Do. Let me explain. If you are like me, you have about ten itsy bitsy little things about your home that you’re not crazy about that you walk past everyday with doing anything to change. I am so guilty of this! Why is it that I can easily use my spring break to slap three layers of paint on an entire dinning set, but I can’t take five minutes to change out an ugly brown switch plate for a white one?


Anyway, it has always bugged me that all of the frames in this grouping are blue or white except for one. That little tan frame drove me nuts, but I never took the time to do anything about it, until this weekend.

First, I roughed the frame up with some sandpaper.

Then I took some French blue paint on a q-tip and used it to fill in the word, “sisters.” I got some paint around the edges, but a little swipe with a wet paper towel took care of that.

Next, I brushed on a coat of white paint. Note that light brush strokes kept the white paint from covering the blue letters.

After this, I used a dry paper towel to wipe on two more layers of white paint. This trick gives you a beautiful, weathered texture. If I wanted more wood to show through, I could have stopped at one extra coat.

Here is the finished product.

The colors tie together so much better now, but aren’t obnoxiously matchy matchy!

This is your challenge: Just do it! That tiny change you’ve been meaning to make forever? Go and do it this weekend! Now that I’m on a roll, I might even change out that brown switch plate.



<3
Hattie

1 comment:

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

This is great advice. There are a few things in my home that I need to just attack and make the change! :-)