Wednesday, September 2, 2009

bowled over

Are y'all ready for some super easy, super cheap, super fun fall decor? Well, ya better be, because it's Thursday, and that means I have a cute little DIY idea to share. For even more inspiration, be sure to head on over to Kimba's DIY Day and Gina's Transformation Thursday.
hmmm...
What is that lurking on the living room bookshelf?
Let's take a closer look,
I've been itching for a little more fall flavor, but I didn't want to go overboard with a full on explosion of orange, yellow, and red. So, when I remembered that I had two glass bowls in graduated sizes, I knew I could use them to keep fall love simple and classy.
The small bowl is filled with snapped twigs from the yard, and a bird on a wire photo I printed out.
The large bowl holds two black and white photos, one of a tree, and another of a leaf. I filled the bottom of the bowl with a few silk leaves for a little splash of color.
If you're interested in making these, feel free to use the pictures below, or use some of your own.





I found these photos on my favorite free-to-use photo site, morgue file.
Once I downloaded the files, I played around with some of the features in Picasa to give them a vintage look, I also uploaded the bird and leaf photos to this great old photo maker that I discovered through Julia's awesome blog. Once I liked the look of the photos, I printed them on photo paper, making sure that I sized them small enough to leave a white edge around each image. Once they were printed, I used wavy cut scissors to give the edges that old fashioned photo look. Finally, I randomly creased each photo a few times to give it a more worn look. This also helped them fit better in the bowls.
I love how they turned out! I also love that they were 100% free!
<3
Hattie

11 comments:

Christen said...

What a creative way to use bowls! During spring, you could even put a few beautiful blue robin eggs (fake or shells) in with the twigs for a gorgeous bird motif.

Sarah { abeachcottage } said...

ooooh nice use for bowls

Pam @ This Humble House said...

Cute idea! Nice little touch!

~ Pam

arkie said...

Very cute idea!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Very clever idea! Thanks for sharing!

Tricia said...

Very cute and unique! Thanks for sharing the info on the photo sites too, I'm always searching.
Happy DIY day.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Too cute! It's the type of thing that makes you take a closer look when you walk by. I love the bird with the twigs :).

Unknown said...

Sweet & simple, I love this idea! It is a great thing for apothecary jars, too.

Thanks for joining me -- make sure you enter the giveaway for the Purdy paintbrush!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Fantastic idea - love it!

★Carol★ said...

I love this idea so much, because I've been trying to figure out how to decorate for Fall without doing orange! And thanks for sharing the site with the free photos!

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. xo