Friday, July 24, 2009

Give a Hoot!

Happy Friday y'all! This Friday is extra awesome because my most recent project fits in with two fun link parties going on today. First off, I'm participating in Frugal Friday over at the Shabby Nest because this project is all about using what you have to create a cute card that does double duty as art. I'm also linking up to Julia's party at Hooked on Houses, because you know I'm hooked on easy ways to jazz up presents, especially if they include little birdies.


Meet my newest birdie creation. This little hoot owl served as a card and extra birthday gift for my sister. You know I love to include birds in gift tags and presents, and you know I love to include little extras in presents that match people's decor, so this was right up my alley.
---
Here is the play-by-play on how to make the card and frame:
This felt gift bag from the Target dollar spot was my inspiration. I know my sister likes owls (she was even wearing a t-shirt with owls at her birthday party) but this little gift bag was too small for her present, plus I thought it would be more fun to make an owl that matched her room colors.


I eyeballed the gift bag owl to create this pattern. Feel free to use this as a jumping off point for your own owl projects.


I used two coordinating scrapbook papers to create the owl body and wings and just drew the eyes, beak, and feet on white printer paper.


This is the inside of the card. I got a little cheesy with my message, but that's just how I roll.


I purposefully made the card the right size to fit in a frame because I thought Hannah might want to display the owl in her pink, orange, and lime bedroom. This slightly battered dollar store frame was the only things I had on had. It wasn't quite the right color to matcher her room, but a few little tweaks fixed it right up.



I tore/sanded all the rough edges, then colored the whole thing with lime sharpie. I could have stopped there but I wanted a vintage look.

As always, white paint to the rescue! I just grabbed a couple of paper towels, dipped them in white paint, and quickly wiped the paint on and off of the frame until I liked the look.

Ta-da!

Pretty easy-peasy right? Not to mention a very frugal way to make some art if like me, you find yourself hooked on sweet little birds!

Be sure to check out all the other great posts at the Shabby Nest and Hooked on Houses!
<3
Hattie








8 comments:

DesignTies said...

Your owl card is so cute!! I love that you were able to use a frame that you already had. It looks great in its new lime green Sharpie colour :-)

Very creative and fun :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

this is so cute. found you through the linky party

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

This si such a cute project!! Aren't owls just the most darling things, love those big round eyes :)

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Cute!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love that you used a sharpie - they're great for everything.

Christen said...

So cute (and inexpensive!!) :)

Jeanette said...

Cute idea! I love it.

Alicia said...

I absoultely LOVE that you colored the frame with a sharpie and aged it to perfection.
Very cute and creative card/project