Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Big Why?


If you're a blogger, chances are someone has asked you why exactly you started a blog. I've had a few questioners, and it got me thinking, "What are my reasons for doing this thing?" I think I've come up with my big reasons, and I'd like to challenge you to do the same. So, if ya wanna join the party, write your own post about your reasons to blog, comment on this post with a link to your post, and If more than two people respond, I'll do a little post next week featuring your blog and your reasons.

----

So, why do I blog?


1. I have a creative writing degree that was getting pretty rusty. As a librarian, I write all the time, but very little of it is creative. I write reports, book reviews, lesson plans, rubrics, countless daily emails, and presentations. Until I started this blog, I'd only written a few poems and a very, very short story since graduating. Blogging gives me a chance to have fun with my writing, to be silly, and to stretch the creative part of my brain. And, because I know people are checking my blog regularly, it motivates me to write several times a week instead of once in a blue moon.


2. Because I need to have a subject for each post, the blog also motivates me to get stuff done around the house. I think a lot of projects would still be unfinished if I didn't think, "I need to get that done so I can post about it!"


3. Blogging = reflection. When I take before and after shots and break down a project into steps, it really forces me to reflect on the whole process. I think it's taught me to slow down a little and think about what I've accomplished.


4. Blogging helps create a spirit of thankfulness. This ties in a little with point 3. There is something about reading over old projects that helps me appreciate all the opportunities the roost has given me. It's so easy for me to complain about all the problems and long for a dream house that is still a few years away. Blogging helps me appreciate all the fun and creative projects this house has given me. It might not be a perfect house, but I can still enjoy the time I have in it and make the best of the situation.


5. The blogging community is so encouraging and generous. I am constantly amazed at the sheer amount of free ideas and information available through blogs. What I love even more is that most of the blogs I read regularly are created in a spirit of thriftiness, DIY, and thankfulness for what is already in our homes. Rather than making me long for expensive items, these blogs help me appreciate bargains and Goodwill makeovers. I blog as a small way of giving back and contributing to the many amazing women (and men!) out there sharing their hearts and homes.

- - - -

Your turn! What are your top five reasons for blogging?


<3

Hattie

2 comments:

Christen said...

I blog because...

* it's a creative outlet! I have to write boring stuff at work (lesson plans, PGP's, and e-mails to parents), but I get to be playful on my blog!

* it forces me to notice the little details in life! Whether I'm having a yummy panini sandwich with lemonade on a summer afternoon or squabbling playfully with my husband about what kind of plants we should have in our front yard, I take pictures and think of what kind of a new post I could use them for! (I'm doing a post on the latter squabble soon- ha ha!).

* I get to "publish" my writing. If I can't be the next J.K. Rowling, at least I can put my ideas/ thoughts out there for other people to read.

* I get to read other people's life's moments (and tips, recipes, and musings) which I find strangely fulfilling

* It's like virtual scrapbooking! I never have the time to pull out my scrapbooks and glue anymore, so this is much quicker!

Great question!

Tracy said...

Great post idea! Here is a link to my blog- I couldn't get the specific "link to this post" option for some reason- sorry. www.tracyandtim.blogspot.com