Monday, May 17, 2010

I've got summer in the bag

Happy DIY Day! With summer on the horizon, I decided it was time to whip up a new bag.



I used a reusable grocery tote as the base for the bag. I wanted it to be pretty big because summer calls for toting around my camera, snacks, sunscreen, a paperback, and a bunch of other necessities that seem to multiply in the bottom of the bag. I kept the basic bag shape, but trimmed down and rounded the top edge.

Next, I just covered the whole bag in strips of duct tape.

I raided my fabric stash for some punchy stripes to add a little extra summer fun to the bag.


I sewed a simple pleat to go down the front and secured it with duct tape.

For the handles, I added rivets (I super heart my $20 rivet setter from JoAnn’s) and straps made from long fabric strips sewn together and doubled for strength.

A little Velcro holds everything closed.


What’s your favorite use for duct tape?

<3
Hattie

6 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Hattie!
that is so cute and you included one of my favorite colors--Citron Green for the stipes and handle!

Ok..so I have to ask you, did you apply the duct tape TO THE BAG? or did you apply duct tape to itself and use the bag as a template? And did you line the inside as well?

This is such a great idea. I have some of those bags. I think they're ugly, and I feel weird using a bag that has one store name/Logo on it --when you're shopping at a different store! This would fix that little problem.
sorry this is so long...love the idea! thanks for sharing.

Hattie said...

Hi! to answer your duct tape question. I applied the duct tape to the bag, until the whole bag was covered. I've made duct tape bags out of just duct tape, but it's much easier and you get a nicer result, if you just cover an existing bag with duct tape.

<3
Hattie

René said...

That is so dang cute! My son uses duct tape to make wallets and back packs. I will be sure to share this with him.

Jennifer Juniper said...

A ruffle can make all the difference :)

Decor To Adore said...

What a great Do It Yourself project. You are a clever and creative gal.

I just completed a project that took 23 years. Come take a peek.

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Seriously Hattie, that is ADORABLE!!!