Monday, March 29, 2010

Stuff on the fridge

It’s time for a little DIY Day spring cleaning! This post is for anyone who has ever had a hard time finding the fridge under the mound of papers and magnets.

Exhibit A. Clearly, I had a bit of a problem.
Exhibit B. Yep. The problem wraps around the side of the fridge.
I’m aware that it’s terribly uncool and a big decorating no-no to stick things on the fridge, but I don’t care. I’m a real person and I like keeping photos, notes, and invitations in plain sight. The fridge reminds me to pray for my missionary friends, RSVP for an upcoming wedding, and smile at my cute little cousins. However, things had gotten a bit out of control. Plus, I’m pretty sure Brad and I are too old for Family Guy magnets.

So, I pulled everything off the fridge and made three piles: magnets, keep, and toss.
Next, I cut up my old magnets into circles, big squares, and little squares.
I cut the same shapes out of pretty scrapbook paper.
I used a brush to apply Mod Podge to the back of the paper and the front of the magnet. After fifteen minutes, I applied a top coat. Fifteen minutes after that, my fridge looked like this:
I feel like the de-cluttered look is much easier on the eyes! Is it crazy that part of me wants to scan all those photo cards and print them out in black and white on photo paper?
Still, I think this is waaaay better!
Do you have an area in need of a mini spring cleaning? Any tips for keeping the fridge from paper overflow?



<3
Hattie

8 comments:

Tracy's mom said...

Hattie, you are a girl after my own heart. I love your creative magnets that bring in a more cohesive and less cluttered look.
My idea is to create a 12x12 scrapbook page with the various photos and then insert it into a plexiglass type of magnetic frame. I have one in a 4x6 but can't find one in the larger size. Anyone know if such a thing exists?

Mikalah said...

I have this problem too! I like your idea to cover the old magnets, I may have to copy that! Also, I am admiring your hanging lamp over the table- that looks really cute! Did you do that yourself? I would love to see how you did that!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I have a fridge paper/photo/clutter problem too. I like your solution!! :)

Laurie Anne said...

The fridge looks great. I love the idea of recycling all those magnets that seem to multiply over night :0)

Tracy said...

Cute and fresh! :) You did warn Brad before you covered his magnets, right?

Unknown said...

Nice idea. Adds a little feng shui to the kitchen!!

Nepperess said...

Great idea Hattie!

Delightful Dwelling said...

What a neat idea to dress up those magnets. I think it looks much more coordinated. I try and stick things on our memo boards in our office instead of the fridge, but it is not as convienent.