Monday, February 15, 2010

I've got a bluebird on my shoulder

Hey y’all! I decided that DIY Day was the perfect time to show you my first attempt at an Anthro knock off. I was inspired by the mix of fabric, lace, and beads used in a lot of Anthro’s jewelry, so I decided to give it a whirl. I ended up with this sweet necklace...

... and this girly bracelet.
Want to make your own? Keep reading!
First, find fabric with a small print. I used a tea towel I picked up at Goodwill that featured state birds. You could always find a pretty image and print it on iron-on paper if you don’t have a fabric you like.
You will also need a coordinating fabric to make the ruffle; ribbon, seam tape, or lace for the ties; and a cheap beaded necklace. The kind where the beads do not move is best.
This one came from the dollar spot at Target.
Cut out a small circle from your fabric.
Cut a strip about half an inch wide from your coordinating fabric. About ½ a centimeter from the edge, baste with a long stitch.
Pull the threads together to create a circle ruffle. Knot the ends or sew together.
Use a few stitches to secure your printed circle to your ruffled circle.
Cut your beaded necklace to just slightly shorter than your desired length.

Sew ribbon, seam tape, or lace around the last bead on each end of the shortened necklace and knot right above.
Decide where you would like to place your fabric embellishment. I went for a slightly asymmetrical look. Place the embellishment on one side of the beads and a small piece of fabric or felt on the other side. Secure with hot glue or a few stitches.
Now you have an artsy, vintagey, girly necklace.
If you’re lucky, your leftover length of beaded necklace will be long enough for a bracelet. If it is, sew ribbon, lace, or seam tape to the end of each bead, just as you did for the necklace ties. Wrap around your wrist and tie in a pretty bow.
Relish the fact that you spent pennies on a look that costs big bucks at the fancy stores!
Wear your new jewlery everyday so you have a little bit of spring close by!

<3
Hattie

12 comments:

Megan said...

Beautiful!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

LOVE this!!!! :) I'm not sure about the basting part, but I want to try. ;) Great tutorial!! Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That is adorable!!!!

Magic Brush said...

Ok... clearly I am the only woman alive who has never been to Anthro! I swear I will go soon. There is one a half hour away. I always see their cute stuff on people! This was great!

Laura said...

This is so cute! I love making jewelry and I would love to try this one.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love this! I can use every bit of Spring possible this February!
We have a Friday Fun Find party- we'd love it if you'd link up!

Amanda said...

I really like this! That birdie fabric sure was a score. You are so creative!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

The necklace is beautiful. I love Anthro!

Tracy said...

Oh. My. This is so pretty! I'm especially loving the lace. New project for me to do... :)

Jane said...

The necklace is super sweet. I have a friend who loves Anthro. I may just have to make her one of these for her birthday. BTW, my grandmother was named Hattie and I have always *loved* that name. Probably because my grandmother was so awesome! It made me so happy to see your name here!

Katielin317 said...

SO creative! Love this! TFS

katie@ www.hipposanddinosaurs.blogspot.com

vintagekitchenkitsch said...

Oh My Goodness. Thank you so much for putting this tutorial up. I just thrifted a large jar of beaded necklaces that need to be shortened and was wondering how on earth to do it. The ribbon idea is BRILLIANT!! And it will be pretty as well. I did make one shorter by drilling a tiny hole with my Dremel in the last bead and screwing in a teeny tiny eye screw and attaching the closure that way but your way looks much easier and is way cuter. : )