Monday, April 6, 2009

Color Inspiration

Over two years ago, when the roost underwent a little surface remodeling, I got to choose the interior paint colors. I knew I wanted a soft yellow for the living room, but it had to be the right yellow - no Big Bird living room for me! I found my color inspiration in the most unlikely place, a book cover.

At the time, I worked in a public library in Maryland. Part of my job was unpacking the new books as they came in. As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew I had found my living room colors.



This yellow was the perfect shade because of how well it blended with the other colors. I
could visualize my cherry red lamp shades, the dark laminate floors, and the blue sofa all popping against soft, sunny walls.

I checked the book out, and carted it home on my next trip back to Virginia. My mom and I were fully prepared to take the book into Home Depot for a custom mix, but luckily, Martha Stewart Corn Silk Yellow was a perfect match.

It just goes to show that you really have to keep your eyes open, because your next big design inspiration could be anywhere - even waiting for you on a library shelf.

Oh, and the book was a wonderful story as well as color swatch!

No comments: