Sunday, January 30, 2011

Where to start?

Brad and I have been deep in the world of the dream house for the last few weeks. We've met multiple times with two builders, realized the blueprints we've had for over three years are for a house that's way out of our price range, found new plans, modified the plans (thanks, Dad!), discovered that my love of stone comes with a hefty price tag, had many, many discusions about what really matters, and finally we find ourselves in a place where the next step is meeting with banks to find out if they think we can afford what we think we can afford. Needless to say, it's been incredibly overwhelming and exciting. One of the many things I've learned is that it's incredibly important to know exactly what you want. My dream book has come in handy, but I reallized I've focused more on decor pictures than on pictures of things like trim, hardware, windows, flooring, and doors - ya know, all the stuff you have to pick out before you get to actually decorate. So, to keep myself from drowning in the details, I've tried to focus on one thing at a time. Let's talk front doors!


This is a smidgen of what our house might look like. I feel like posting the whole picture might jinx things, so that's all you get for now. And never mind that stone chimmney - we decided at 10,000 + is a lot to pay for something that's not even needed when you go with gas logs.

Here is my top front door choice:

This red beauty if from Pella. It's in the craftsman style, but not too grand for our bungalow.


On the inside it would be white to match the trim. I like the idea of a red door, but I also like these more classice craftsman styles:

Love the dental details on this one!

This one has fun glass and dental detail.

So what do you think? Am I crazy to love the red? Which door style would you pick? Anyone been through the house building process and have some words of wisdom for me?

<3
Hattie

4 comments:

Christen said...

That's so exciting you all are getting closer to building your house!! Love the red door! We have one on our house and I feel like it makes a statement.

Christen said...

That's so exciting you all are getting closer to building your house!! Love the red door! We have one on our house and I feel like it makes a statement.

Nepperess said...

A red door is definitely on my dream house list. Have you considered finding a cheaper door in the same style, and then painting it yourself? Might save you some serious bucks.

Megan said...

Our older craftsman style house has a door much like the last picture you posted, with the dental molding. We have a three paned window, and while it's nice to see who's outside, it's ackward for window treatments without feeling exposed. And I have a hard time with hanging things on the door- cover the window or hang low? While I love the character our old door has, I don't know that it's what I'd pick out new.