Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Farm Life

I snapped a few pictures of ordinary life around the Roost the other day,


My Dad made this awesome sign. Weather and time have given it a lovely rustic look.


The farmer who rents our fields cut the hay,


I love the tractor and fresh bales of hay - my allergies aren't so thrilled, but my eyes love to drink in the scene

I wish I had a picture to go with the "only in the boonies" experience I had this morning. When I walked out of the house to go to work, I found myself face to face with a groundhog, happily enjoying my potted basil plant. He wasn't just casually munching on a leaf or two - oh no! He was actually sitting in the planter, feasting on the basil like he was at an all-you-can-eat salad bar. We looked at each other in awkward embarrassment, as if to say, "Oh, I didn't expect to see you here. Well, um." The second after we made eye contact, he froze in  lawn ornament mode, fully expecting me not to question the sudden appearance of a groundhog garden statue in my basil plant. Once I got over the surprise of the whole situation, I realized I owed Whole Foods an apology for complaining about the poor quality of the basil plant - I was unaware that it had been serving as a critter buffet.

Ah, country living! You have to love it!

<3
Hattie

No comments: