Sunday, June 7, 2009

Art for your heart

As promised, here is the nearly free (yet priceless!) art project I've been working on for our bedroom.

I really like the look of vinyl or painted quotes, but I don't want to use them in the roost - 1. because we are renting and 2. because the vinyl letters get a little pricey. So, last summer I bought four document frames at the Dollar Tree, painted them, and used them to frame one of my favorite phrases.




While I love the sentiment, the outcome was not as great as I had hoped. My spacing was off, and the overall look lacked polish.

I've been meaning to redo this project for a long time, and this weekend I finally got around to it.
I started by taking the four words, "Peace" "Be" "with" "you" and finding verses that included each word. Then I opened up Word, created a text box with a pretty border, inserted the featured word in a large font, then inserted the verse in a smaller font around the word. It took some playing with text boxes to get everything to look the way I wanted, but if you have the 2007 version, there is a function built in for doing this sort of thing. Next, I printed out each text box, cut it out, glued it to a sheet of heavy weight cream colored paper and stuck it in one of the frames. Here is the final result:





You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

The verses I chose have special meaning to me, and I'm going to love being reminded of them every day. In case you are interested, I used the following verses:

"PEACE I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

"Have I not commanded you? BE strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

"And surely I am WITH you always to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20

"YOU a r e God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for you to do." Ephesians 2:10



I'm very pleased with the results. I love that four bucks an an hour or so of work can result in a beautiful reminder of God's promises.

Do you have any word's of wisdom in your home?

<3

Hattie








4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hattie, I love this. Once again your creativity makes your decorations not only adorable but so personal! When we move into our house I might have to try something similar to this. :)

tracy'smom said...

I love this idea and have printed out Galatians 5:22, the fruit of the spirit verse to hang up alongside some family photos in my wonderfully deeply discounted Michael's frames. I love the way you were able to use many verses while conveying a favorite and meaningful expression. People will begin saying that's so Hattie!

Hattie said...

Thanks ladies! Hugs to both of you :-)

Christen said...

Beautiful art work! You are so creative!! My husband and I are in the midst of decorating are brick colonial house in Richmond too, and have been struggling with what to put on the walls. You've inspired me to try to do something with quotes.