Thursday, January 29, 2009




I can’t stand clutter, but I seem to attract it like static cling. As much as I try to pare down the amount of stuff we have, I just can’t get rid of enough things to make areas like the top of my dresser and the kitchen counters look neat. In an effort to corral all the stuff, I have come up with a few ideas for keeping things easily accessible, but out of sight.

For my dresser top, a vintage train case proved to be the perfect hiding place. Inside I can fit my makeup bag and all of my jewelry. I found a few cardboard boxes at Ben Franklin, spray painted them white, and labeled them earrings, bracelets, etc. Since I don’t wear that much jewelry, they work perfectly for organizing my little baubles within the case.
I also use a thrift store basket for holding moisturizer, vitamin E oil, pomade, and other toiletries. On the other side of my dresser, two tea cups hold the beaded necklaces I wear the most often and a few small skin care products. In the morning I can find everything quickly and easily, and it all looks neat and stylish when I’m done. A bonus to this kind of organizing is all of the junk you find to throw away. I filled a trash bag with old makeup, dried up hair products, and broken ponytail holders. I’ve also been replacing all of my products with organic or natural versions as I use them up. A lot of these products do double duty (EX: Burt’s Bees lip shimmer can also be used as a cream blush) so I should ultimately end up with even less to store!
<3
Hattie

No comments: